TIMELINE FOR 2020 CLASSES:
1st class - Application deadline is February 7, 2020 -- testing and interviews in February/March 2020
2nd class - Application deadline is April 24, 2020 -- testing and interviews in May 2020
3rd class - Application deadline is June 5, 2020 -- testing and interviews in June/July 2020
Applications are accepted year-round. Selection for the first class will include all 33 counties in Western PA. Selection for additional classes will be according to workforce needs.
HOW TO APPLY: Applications can be downloaded at laborpa.org. Mail or drop off application and fee to: Western PA Laborers Training Center, 317 Deer Creek Road, Saxonburg, PA 16056.
APPLICANT SELECTION: Selection is based on the needs within the region of western PA. Candidates will be selected by an appointed panel using job-related selection testing and interview. These programs offer an excellent training opportunity, they do not guarantee full employment. Employment is assigned by the Union as provided for in the collective bargaining agreements.
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS OF THE PROGRAM INCLUDE:
- At least 18 years old when selected
- High school diploma or GED certificate
- Valid PA driver's license & dependable transportation
- Pass a drug test
- A non-refundable $25 fee at time of application (money order or cashier's check)
- Reside in one of the 33 counties of western PA for past 6 months
Joint Apprenticeship Schools of the Union Building Trades
The success of any construction project depends on the quality of the people who build it. Here in western Pennsylvania, we have 30 tuition-free quality apprenticeship programs that produce some of the finest craftspeople in the country. The combination of outstanding curricula and on-the-job training creates a skilled workforce capable of building any type of size of construction project.
- Earn While You Learn
- Tuition Free
- Paid on the Job Training
- College Credits Available
Go to www.buildersguild.org and click on the Apprenticeships tab for more information on these rewarding careers:
Boilermakers Operating Engineers
Bricklayers & Allied Crafts Operative Plasterers and Cement Masons
Carpenters Painters, Drywall Finishers, Glaziers
Elevator Constructors Roofers
Insulators Sheet Metal Workers
Iron Workers Sprinkler Fitters
Operating Engineers & Mechanics
TIMELINE FOR 2020 CLASS - Application pick up deadline is December 20, 2019. Testing and interviews will be in January & February 2020. Selection by April 1, and training begins in April, May & June 2020.
HOW TO APPLY - Applications and informational packets can be downloaded at wpaoperators.org or picked up Monday through Friday, December 9-20, 2019, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the following locations. Applications also available on Saturday, December 14, 2019 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the address below with an asterisk (*).
111 Zeta Drive, Pittsburgh PA 15238
1095 University Drive, Dunbar, PA 15431
*457 Christopher Road, New Alexandria, PA 15670*
270 Salem Drive, New Alexandria, PA 15670
206 Seneca St., 1st Floor, Oil City, PA 16301
101A Walker Drive, Edinboro, PA 16412
214 North Second Street., Clearfield, PA 16830
291 McClurg Road, Youngstown, OH 44512
Applicants may apply for either or both programs but may enroll in only one.
APPLICANT SELECTION - Selection is based on the needs within the region of western PA and eastern Ohio. Candidates will be selected by an independent organization or appointed panel using job-related selection testing and interview. These programs offer an excellent training opportunity, they do not guarantee full employment. Employment is assigned by the Union as provided for in the collective bargaining agreements.
Qualification Requirements of the Program include:
1. Be at least 18 at the time of acceptance into the Program.
2. Reside in one of the 33 counties of western PA or Columbiana, Mahoning or Trumbull counties in Ohio for a minimum of 6 months. (Visit wpaoperators.org for a list of counties)
3. Have a high school diploma or GED.
4. Have a valid PA or Ohio driver's license and dependable transportation.
5. Submit a non-refundable fee of $25 with each application.
6. Pass a DOT physical exam and drug test.
The Western Pennsylvania Operating Engineers Joint Apprenticeship & Training Program ("the Program") will not discriminate against apprenticeship applicants, apprentices or journeyworkers based on race, color, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), sexual orientation, genetic information, or because they are an individual with a disability or a person 40 years or older. The Program will take affirmative action to provide equal opportunity in apprenticeship and will operate the program as required under Title 29 of the CFR, part 30. See notice at wpaoperators. org/EEO.
Heat & Frost Insulators and Allied Workers
Applications will be available at the Insulators Training Center, 109 Pleasant Drive, Suite B, Aliquippa, PA 15001 from 12:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. on the following dates: October 28, 29, 30, 31, November 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 7.
- Applicant must pick up the application in person and have a photo identification. A non-refundable $25.00 processing fee is due upon the receipt of the application. Payment must be by money order or cashier's check, made payable to the "Insulator's Joint Apprenticeship Program".
- Applicant must return the completed application to the office of the committee, postmarked on or before November 15, 2019.
- Applicant must be a minimum of eighteen (18) years of age at the time of application.
- Applicant must be physically able to perform the work of the trade.
- Applicant must be a high school graduate or have a GED at the time of application.
- Applicant must have a dependable form of transportation.